Monday, May 4, 2015

The First Time I Applied



THE FIRST TIME I APPLIED TO THE DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM

      I first applied to the Disney College Program back in November of 2012. To be honest, I did not even know it existed until just a couple days before I applied. A friend of mine, in a passing conversation at school, told one of my teachers that he had been accepted into the program. That is literally how I first found out about it. The next evening, I thought back to what he had said and decided to Google the Disney College Program for more information. I saw that they were still accepting applications, so I decided to go ahead and apply on a whim.

      I had close to no expectations, as I knew it was late in the game and I was not too worried about getting into the program anyway. I just wanted to give it a shot for the heck of it. However, things moved faster than I ever imagine. I kid you not, one online interview, one phone interview, and five days later I had been accepted into the program. FIVE DAYS! It all happened so fast, I was not prepared AT ALL. To be honest, I was so stunned I don’t think I even realized what it would mean to be in the DCP; moving, putting my school year on hold, etc.

      Let me tell you, when they say “expect the unexpected,” they mean it. I originally got in for Cast Costuming at the Walt Disney World resort in Orlando, Florida. Because I did everything so quickly, I honestly had not checked into the costuming role as much as I should have prior to applying. Turns out, the role has little to no guest interaction and basically consists of doing laundry all day. This was not a job I truly wanted. I was not going to decline until I knew how this would affect my school year though. All in all, accepting the program at that point in time would have ultimately caused me to graduate a year later than I had originally planned, and this was after already knowing that I would have to complete one semester in my fifth year. In the end, I decided to decline.

      Before declining, I spoke on the phone with three different representatives from the Disney Company while trying to make my decision. Each of them was nice, honest, and assured me that if I declined it would not reflect negatively on my chances of being accepted into the program again. I was also told that next time I applied, my best bet would be to only apply for the roles I would truly like, and that way I would not have to worry about getting cast for Cast Costuming again. I know there are people out there who would literally do ANYTHING in the Disney Program and therefore check every single option, but is that really going to benefit your personal career goals in the long run? You have to see beyond the Disney label in order to really identify the job that is right for YOU. That is the best advice I can give to someone applying. Apply only for the jobs you REALLY want, not the jobs you’ll settle for. If you are truly interested in the positions you are applying for, you are guaranteed to have a better interview, do a better job, have a better work ethic, and overall have a better overall experience. ~Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment