Monday, May 4, 2015

My Character Performer Audition


MY CHARACTER PERFORMER AUDITION

     The Disney College Program “Character Performer” audition was pretty straightforward – perform, cut, perform, cut, perform. What I will say is that the audition is literally as indicated by the Disney Auditions website. You will learn a couple little dance routines and have to do some character improvisation. The routines are very parade-like, since that is one of the main types of performance work Disney offers for characters. Be prepared to go big or go home. It’s Disney, not a corner in your living room, so don’t be afraid to give it your all.

     The first cut indicates that you did not make it. So basically if you make the first cut, you’re in and have a chance at getting chosen to be a Character Performer. Like any audition, there is no guarantee you will get the role, but you will be seriously considered for it. If you make it past the second cut as well, you are being considered for something pretty specific. Therefore, making all cuts increases your chances of being cast as a Character Performer, but if you only get past the first cut, don’t be discouraged. You are still a consideration and have a chance at being cast.

     I personally made it past the first cut, but not the second, as very few make it past the second. Like I said, this did not mean I was not a consideration for the job. It just meant I did not have very specific qualities of which Disney was looking for in regards to particular characters. For example, I may not look right for Wendy or be tall enough for Cinderella, etc., but I could be one of many other Character Performer roles. Although I was not cast as a Character Performer in the end, if I had to give reason to it I would say it is because I am very thin and therefore have pretty tiny wardrobe requirements. I may not be the best fit for a 20 pound head resting on these slender shoulder bones.

     Do not expect to be given an actual reason why you were not cast if that is your outcome. Auditions are closed opinion, meaning you’ll probably never find out why you did not make it. The dance was very easy for me to pick up, so I know I nailed that portion. My point is that I made no big mistakes, so that is not a reason as to why I was not cast. Also, if you do make a big mistake, but you stay in character and keep smiling, that will speak louder than any mistake you make on the dance floor. That’s just the way auditions work.

     Auditions are very serendipitous and random. While some parts will make sense to you, other parts won’t. Try not to think too hard on it either way and keep an open mind as to how any and every audition is an experience in itself that can be extremely valuable to you. If one little piece of rejection gets you down, the performing field is probably not the best option for you, to put it bluntly. And hey! If you land the part, that’s just icing on the cake. Whenever you go to an audition, most likely you will be told to “just have fun.” This is hard to do when you are determined to the point of having the most rattled nerves on the planet. Honestly though, if you loosen up and just be yourself at the audition, whether you think that’s good or bad, whatever is going to happen will happen no matter what. Take rejection with a grain of salt, and do not take triumph for granted. That is the best advice I can give.

     Good luck at any and all of your future auditions! I hope this information provides some perspective for you the next time you decide to audition for something, especially if you are auditioning for Disney. Werrrk it! ~Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment